Thursday, April 26, 2012

Shootenanny! by the Eels

kurtkurtkurt:

I couldn't put my finger on it for the whole album, but the lead singer sounds like Beck on certain songs (slow Sea Change era Beck). Anyways, these guys were alright, somber as hell, but alright. I'd definitely have to be in the right mood to listen to this over and over, or want to be in the right mood, or something. I'm not normally trying to be depressed so I can't say that it'd be too often. I did, however, enjoy having a horn section on the bluesy opening track All In a Day's Work. (well I just enjoyed that track in general I guess).

Stuckski:

If you're a lonely alcoholic -as I aspire to be- then Shootenanny provides the perfect soundtrack for your daily tryst with that bottle of liquor. Gentle and melancholy, it is especially effective if you're drinking to forget...well anything. The rough vocals go down surprisingly smooth when you chase it with some gentle keyboard and a shot of rhythmic guitar. If rum is your poison of choice, then I recommend chugging it to the sounds of Love of the Loveless, which will lead you smoothly into oblivion. If you're more of a vodka person, then Agony might be for you, a harsher sound for a harsher drink. If it's whiskey you're wanting, then fuck you. Whiskey is awful.

RATINGS:

kurtkurtkurt: 6/10
Stuckski: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment