Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Oink! by Hog Hoggidy Hog


kurtkurtkurt:

My sister's Ex showed me this band. He (and they) are from South Africa.
They lay down some nice ska/punk I can't complain about. I think their brass section is a little weaker on some of their songs than I'd like, but not bad. Just weak (exceptions being "Aunty Trish"). Their strengths lie in songs like "Cold Fusion" where the music is catered to the strengths of a horn section playing the same thing together, almost a Voodoo Glow Skulls type feel.

Stuckski:

I cannot tell a lie: it felt good to finally get a punk ska album to review. So if my review seems overly positive, it's just the punk withdrawal talking. That said, this album was a big surprise to me. Based on the name and cover, I was expecting crappy pop-punk or something similar. Instead I got an album that was reminiscent of everything I love about such bands as Catch22, Streetlight Manifesto, Skanking Pickle, etc... This is a very solid ska punk album, and you can't really ask for much more than that.
Best song: African Son (adding some traditional South African music influences really makes this song the standout in my books)

RATINGS:

Stuckski: 8/10
Kurtkurtkurt: 8/10 Because I like ska/punk.

No comments:

Post a Comment