Thursday, May 3, 2012

Specials by The Specials

kurtkurtkurt:

My love for this band goes back to when I first truly started exploring music. It wasn't until middle school when I began to be able to use the internet to find music. Since there were a multitude of programs (Napster) that allowed ease to acquiring music I began to broaden my musical (ska) horizons. While they were hardly the first Ska band I ever heard and not the band that got me into the music (Five Iron Frenzy and a multitude of other Christian Ska bands take that title) this album gained a place in my heart the more I listened to it and I learned more about the genre.

As far as albums go The Specials' Specials is one of my favorite albums of all time.

A Message To You Rudy, Little Bitch and Gangsters are a good sampling from this album.

(Note to peeps. My version is the U.S. version so it includes their song Gangsters which is not on the original UK pressing.)

Stuckski:

Well, they're pretty...special. HAHAHAHHAHA...Get it?! Super cool joke there, I'm really topping myself this time. I've already mentioned my feelings about two-tone ska on previous posts (recap: they're good feelings), and the Specials are the kings of two-tone. Love 'em, and love this album. One a side note, when I spent about one second filling in as guitarist for my friend's band The Openers (who have since reached level 16 and evolved into Use the Boost, a chip-punk extravaganza), we covered A Message for You Rudy, and that is -to date- still the only ska song I know how to play. Who was that friend who's band I was in, you ask? Why nobody else but the fan-fuckin-tastic mr Kurtkurtkurt himself!


RATINGS:
kurtkurtkurt: 10/10
Stuckski: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment