Thursday, June 28, 2012

Leon Redbone - Champagne Charlie

kurtkurtkurt:

I first heard Leon Redbone when I found his album On the Track in my parents record collection. He has a deep voice and is usually recognized as that guy who sang a duet with Zoe Deschanel for that one movie about Christmas. He has an old time-y jazz feel, moving into dixieland in some of his stuff. Unfortunately Champagne Charlie doesn't have the same flare as the one my parents had. It feels toned down and kinda who cares. It's alright I suppose though.

Stuckski:

Well that's better, Kurt. In some ways Redbone is similar to Hank Williams, but whereas Hank is decidedly country, Leon opts for more of a jazzy sound. The guitar- and even the vocals- of both share many characteristics ( although Redbone does a much better job at avoiding -for the most part- the whole 'cracking voice syndrome' that seems so popular with crooners). It's amazing what the addition of some brass instruments can do for a song.
On the downside, this is very much an album that is eminently forgettable, the quintessential 'background music'. I've listened to it twice, and I still don't think I would be able to pick out any of the tracks by name. Champagne Charlie is destined to forever be lost amidst the sea of jazzy albums that I play on random when I'm feeling moody.

RATINGS:

kurtkurtkurt: 6/10
Stuckski: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment