Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Check Your Head by the Beastie Boys


Stuckski:

Despite being a nineties kid, I never really paid too much attention to the Beastie Boys. I vaguely remember hearing Fight for Your Right (not on this record) as a kid and thinking it sounded kind of silly. Then I hit college age and I found out that a lot of my friends really liked them. I decided to give them another try, and discovered some tracks of theirs that I really liked. I still don't love them, but I do understand their appeal, and there are a few tracks that I do love.
Check Your Head seems to be a mixture of styles, and a lot chiller than Licence to Ill. There are a lot more instrumental segments, and the vocals are a lot less 'Beastie-Boyish'. So Watcha Want is the closest it gets to classic BB rapping. Another highlight is Time for Livin' which is takes me straight back to their hardcore punk roots.

kurtkurtkurt:

I've fallen behind on my Responsibilities.

Time for Livin' and Funky Boss are my two favorite tracks of the album. I don't know why but Funky Boss always made my head bob and put a smile on my face. Also Beastie Boys are actually not to bad at being a punk band (Here's their EP Polly Wog Stew).

RATINGS:

kurtkurtkurt: 6/10
Stuckski: 4/10 (Some decent tracks, but not a fan overall)

No comments:

Post a Comment